Soy Milk Broth For Ramen
Mix together in a pot and slowly bring to a simmer (low to medium heat setting of stove):
- 6 dried small Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 cup Water (250 ml)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Ginger, about the amount of garlic, minced
- 2 cups Soymilk (500 ml) (unsweetened, ideally Asian style, Black Soybean Milk works great)
- 3 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin or mirin-flavoured liquid
- 2 Tablespoons Miso paste (dissolve with a strainer or with a bit of liquid in a ladle)
- 2 Tablespoons Fermented Bean Paste (Chinese Black Bean and Garlic Paste works well, Doenjang should also work)
- a pinch White Pepper Powder
Either use as is or use a strainer to filter out large pieces of aromatics.
Boil ramen noodles or other noodles, wash well in cold water to get rid of surface starch, add to a bowl, ladle broth over it, add toppings (veggies ideally blanched or steamed for softness).