Smoked Paprika Soup
This is an adaption of Cesnecka garlic soup.
- Vegetable Oil, I prefer canola
- 4 potatoes or whatever you are used to use for the amount of people you cook for
- 1 can of beans or legumes, I prefer red kidney beans
- 4 cloves of garlic or however many you prefer (the taste cooks down a lot)
- 4 cups (1 litre) of vegetable stock (dissolve in one cup of water and then dilute down)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder or hungarian sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp ground cumin, optional: chili flakes
- pepper, salt to taste
Peel potatoes (or clean thoroughly) and dice. Fry in a pot with oil until the sticky bits start to be a deep golden colour. Add finely diced/grated garlic and fry for just half of a minute or so.
Add stock/water, bay leaf, about 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, marjoram, cumin, and beans (and chilli flakes, if using).
Let simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on size of dice.
Before serving, add another teaspoon of smoked paprika powder and any other herbs or spices you want. Goes well with fresh or toasted bread.