Seitan Cold Cut
This is a meat substitute well suited for sandwiches, but also for soup or stir fry. Just be sure to let it rest in the fridge overnight before slicing.
- 1 ¼ cups of Gluten / Vital Wheat Protein
- ¼ cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Starch or Flour
- 1 block of Tofu (about 340 g or adjust dry ingredients), crumbled by hand or mixer
- ¼ cup of neutral Oil (Canola)
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar (wine/apple/generic white, balsamic will likely work but taste differently)
- 1 Tbsp White Wine (can be alc free)
- a dash of dark Soy Sauce (or light soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1 tsp Thyme
- ¼ tsp white Pepper powder
- optional: 1-2 Tbsp Ketchup
Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
Mix everything very well by hand or processor. Let rest for a few minutes. Knead by hand for a few minutes, if it crumbles it’s not to worry.
Form into log/loaf shape.
Place on big piece of aluminum foil, lightly greased, and wrap.
Bake for 40 minutes and then 15 to 20 minutes unwrapped, consider turning it over for the past 15 minutes or so (optional).
Let cool, place in covered container and let it rest over night in the fridge. The consistency and sliceability will greatly improve!